Friday, February 24, 2012

Module 4 Blog

    • Whom you observed and interacted with in your setting during this module 
    • I observed and interacted with parents and children at drop off and pick up on different days and at different sites.  The first place I observed and interacted was at a preschool/child care.  The parents would bring in their children, some as early 6 am.  The last child came in at 11:00 when he had finished play school at a different location and then joined the preschool group until his 5:00 pm pickup.  In the morning, some parents were very rushed.  They came into the classroom, helped their child take off their jacket, boots, hats, etc. and put their shoes on.  Then they supervised as their child washed their hands.  Most parents exclaimed they were late and needed to hurry.  Gave their child a hug and kiss and ran out the door.  Many children were fine with this schedule.  Others cried and the teacher took them to the window to wave goodbye and comforted the child as the parent pulled out without even waving.  Other parents took their time and talked with their child and teacher.  Some even read a book before leaving and giving ten kisses and hugs.  Pickup was also a mix.  Some parents rushed in and announced they had to go.  Others asked their child about their day and talked with the teacher.  A couple of parents even looked at the work the child had done that day.  
    • Any special learning experiences you may have had or an experience that provided you with insight about children and families including advocacy efforts
    • I observed the children after the parents left and noticed that those who had a rushed and traumatic drop off had a more difficult time engaging appropriately.  They seemed angry and overreacted to many situations.  I asked the teachers if they make suggestions to parents about making drop off a smooth transition for the child.  They have tried many times with those specific parents but it doesn't appear that the child's stability is a priority for the parents.  One parent told them it wasn't her job to deal with that. 
    •  
    • At least two insights gained from your observations of, and interactions and experiences with, children’s families regarding advocacy efforts and needs related to your area of interest within the field of early childhood
    • Two insights I gained from my observation are that lack of parent involvement and education have a detrimental affect on the child and even with emotional support provided by the caregiver, the child was still negatively affected by the actions of the parent.  These children suffer the effects of the culture of poverty every day.  We have to find a way out for these children.  We know educating the child is going to be their way out.  I would love to be able to reach parents too so they can be part of helping their child out of poverty.  For my advocacy plan I am thinking I am going to write a grant that would provide parents access to a program that provides them with books and activities they can do with their child.  It is a series of trainings for parents and during the sessions the instructor reads a book and guides them through an activity related to the book.  They do this with several books and the parents get to keep the books and materials to take home to use with their child.  It provides a positive interaction between the child and parents that could encourage the child to want to read because the parent is involved.   

9 comments:

  1. The transition from home to school can be difficult. What I find is (I am in a preschool classroom in the morning) that transition is a process. It is not an uncommon thing for a child to struggle with transitions. It is sad that some parents are not aware of the impact the seperation or manner of seperation plays on the child emotionally. We know that children need to feel secure in the environment to engage in it. We start the day with centers during arrival and the children are allowed to make choices. What I experience that is difficult is when parent arrive late and the children miss center time. It is a much smoother transition when children can arrive and make choices in a relaxed fashion. When children arrive late and miss center time it is more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked at a daycare for four years I am saw the same exact things that you just described. I found it so sad when the children would cry, I would bring them to the window and the parent would forget to wave. I will never forget this one little girl had a horrible drop-off and she was waiting by the window for her dad to wave because that is what he said he would do. He forgot, 15 minutes later he walked into the center and gave her a hug and said he was so sorry he forgot to wave. It broke my heart it was so great of this dad that was in a hurry to take time to realize the important things.
    I also think that it is great when the parents take the time to look at what the child did at school that day when they are picked up. I think that it is important for the children to see that the parents care because it can make them value their work more as well as feel good about themselves.
    I think that it is great you want to write a grant for activities that parents can do with their children. It is so important to have parent involvement at this young age and any positive interaction between them will only benefit the child more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a 'lending library' in our classroom, where the children can take a book home to share with their family. I always stick a paper that has a few questions about the book for the parent to ask of the child while they are reading. The books always come back with the papers filled out, so it is good to know that parents do take the time to read with their children. Your advocacy plan idea sounds like a very worthwhile project. Best wishes on your work in this.
    Something I would like to share that helps our children if they are not having a great morning is to go into the library area for a few minutes to re-group. There are floor pillows and a rocking chair and usually at least two children who just need a little more time to transition and be ready for their morning at school. Maybe this could help some of the children where you are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had 3 children that all went to day care. I was the hardest time for me dropping off my kids at the babysitters. I spent the whole ride to school crying. When I got to school I always called and my sitter would say they were fine. I found that the more time I spent saying 'good-bye' the more anxious they became. I think they felt my anxiety. I also felt that when I was with my kids I did nothing else - no TV, no radio, no answering the phone. It was 'their' time. They were together the other day and talked about our evenings together. Their spouses were shocked that we did not watch TV but always did family activities.

      Delete
  4. I have the same drop off experience at my own home child care. I have some parents that literally just shove their kids through the front door (don't even come in at all!) and tell them "have a good day". They don't take off their child's coat, kiss them goodbye, nothing. It is ridiculous. If you don't have time, then you should leave earlier so you can make time for your child that you may not see again for 10 hours! No wonder these poor kids feel traumatized and disengaged at school or child care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy:
    This is a final "blogging" for module five. I received your thank-you and would like to return the same to you. It has been a busy quarter. I wait in anticipation for my research project to be finally reviewed and then graded. It carries a large weight of the course grade. I wish you continued success and enjoyment of your family
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy,
    Thanks for the important research. It was great to see that we arent the only day care where parents drop and run. I have joked that if we had a drive thru window parents would be super happy.
    Even in school age, parents don't want to walk in to sign in or out. I have had parents stand at the door and whistle. I walk over and let them know, your child is busy working on something, come on in and see. Most of my parents in school age day care know their child loves to be their. So they come in and sit or even offer to come back a little later.
    Thanks again. Enjoy 412. I am worried, but worried is good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy,

    I also wanted to give you a huge Thank You for your support and responses this next quarter. You responded to not only my blogs but also many of my discussion posts. Your questions and suggestions allowed me to share information with my Family Service Worker with ways to engage our parents. I hope that we will continue to collaborate next quarter in EDU 412. Congratulations on making it through this course, we all deserve a huge pat on the back for this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrtulations on completing this course and soon the Kendall College experience!! Keep up the good work and may your future be prosperous and successful as you enter the educational field!!!

    ReplyDelete